(recipe adapted from Martha Stewart)
Makes 12 Cupcakes
1 1/4 cups flour, sifted
1 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup sugar
½ cup (1 stick) butter, room temp
1 egg, room temp
1 tsp red food color
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
½ cup buttermilk
¾ tsp baking soda
1 tsp distilled white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners.
- Sift the cake flour and cocoa into a bowl. Add in salt and mix together.
- In another bowl, mix the sugar and butter until combined. Using an electric mixer, on medium, whisk in egg, beating until incorporated. Mix in food color and vanilla. *Tip: Using plastic wrap to cover up the bowl will help contain the red dye/batter and prevent it from getting all over the place.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of buttermilk, and whisking well after each. Stir the baking soda and vinegar together in a small bowl (it will foam); add mixture to the batter, and mix on medium speed 10 seconds.
- Divide batter evenly among lined cups (comes out to be about ¼ cup each), filling each three-quarters full.
*Tip: Try to limit the amount of time the batter sits out after everything is mixed. If left out too long, the cupcakes can become dense.
- Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 15-20 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes.
Cream Cheese Frosting
½ cup sugar
8 oz. of Philadelphia Cream Cheese, room temperature
½ tsp of vanilla extract
Whip all of these together until smooth.